Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Never buy jam again...Super EASY Freezer Jam

If time permits, I would highly recommend picking your own berries to get the freshest berries possible. That being said....this year my schedule did not permit me picking my own so I headed off to the local farmers market to make my strawberrry selection.


Truthfully, these berries are a little ripe but since my freezer has an empty space begging to be filled with delicious freezer jam I made them work. Sort through berries and only use the firmest, berries. Make sure they have a solid center. They SHOULD NOT be mushy!



Once you've sorted your berries....cut off the caps and wash berries in cool water. Set aside.





Place a few berries in a pan and begin to mash....I have this one that came with my double boiler and it works great.





If you happen to have a sieve you could use that instead of mashing. You'll get essentially the same result either way. I continue adding berries until I have everything mashed. Caution: don't overfill your pan initially or they will slide out. Only mash a few at a time whichever method you choose.




Above is the consistency of my strawberries after I've mashed everything. Now you can begin to add your ingredients. The recipe I use is from a Ball Blue Book that my mother purchased for me years ago.


Strawberry Jam
2 cups finely mashed or sieved strawberries

4 cups sugar

1 package powdered pectin

3/4 cup water

Combine berries and sugar. Let stand about

20 minutes, stirring occassionally.

Combine pectin and water in a small saucepan.

Bring to a rolling boil;boil 1 minute, stirring constantly.

Add pectin to fruit mixture;stir 3 minutes.

Pour into can or freeze jars, leaving 1/2" head space.

Adjust caps, let stand until set, up to 24 hours.

Freeze. Yield: about 6 pints.


Pouring jam into jars, remember to leave head space.




Finished product.

Don't be alarmed if the jam seems a little thin when you

are pouring it into the jars. It will thicken as it sets.

My family loves this stuff!

Each year I make a little more....this year I experimented with

adding raspberries and blackberries
to the mix....my husbands favorite.... strawberry/raspberry.

Good luck!! Let me know if you have questions.


Big hugs,

Hogskin Valley Girl










No comments:

Post a Comment